The RTG "Digital Platform-Based Value Creation and its Implications for Data Exchange, organisation and Socio-Economic Development" is a postgraduate excellence programme and vibrant interdisciplinary research community. It is comprised of 22 doctoral and postdoctoral students, nine principal investigators/doctoral supervisors and an international network of research partners from the disciplines of information systems, management, organisation, marketing, economics and communication studies. Together, they investigate the idiosyncratic characteristics of digital platform ecosystems and their implications for the transformation and design of economic value-creation architectures as well as for overarching socio-economic and regulatory developments. The RTG is organised in three interdisciplinary thematic areas:
- Data exchange in digital platform ecosystems
- Innovation, transformation and organisation in digital platform ecosystems
- Socio-economic and regulatory dimensions of digital platform ecosystems
Positions are available for three years, starting October 2022, and are remunerated with an internationally competitive salary (75%–100% FTE, TV-L 13) with social security and healthcare contributions. The RTG is generously funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG; https://www.dfg.de/en/). Doctoral and postdoctoral researchers are closely mentored by at least two professors and receive a tailored, interdisciplinary training programme, including a three-month research stay abroad to promote internationally competitive top-level research on the phenomenon of digital platform ecosystems. Postdoctoral researchers receive advanced training and take on leadership responsibilities in the RTG. The research programme is fully funded, including office space, equipment, research expenses and travel grants. The RTG is based at the University of Passau, which has an outstanding international reputation in research and teaching, a strong focus on digitalisation and digital technologies as well as an award-winning campus in one of the most beautiful historic towns in Europe.
The RTG offers excellent research conditions. We are searching for aspiring early career researchers, with a strong interest in and openness to conducting interdisciplinary research at an internationally competitive level. At the time of hiring, applicants must have completed a university master's degree (and for postdoc positions, a doctoral degree) in one of the areas covered by the RTG. Applicants should have demonstrated academic excellence in their studies and, for the postdoctoral position, show potential for a successful academic career. Furthermore, applicants should be dedicated and perseverant researchers, possess strong social and communicative skills and be fluent in English as well as committed to contributing to the RTG community.
The application deadline is 23 May 2022. Interviews will be held from 29 to 30 June 2022 (in person at our offices), and decisions communicated shortly after that. Interviewees will be asked to prepare a research proposal.
Please email the following documents, arranged in a single pdf file in the indicated order, to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter.
- DPE application form.
- Letter of motivation, laying out your research interest in one or more topic areas of the RTG as well as your ability for successful participation at the RTG. (Note: You do not need to provide a detailed research proposal at this stage; however, you will be asked to provide a more detailed research proposal if you are invited for an interview).
- Curriculum vitae
- Copies of all secondary-school certificates and university degree documents listed in the application form (in case you do not have received your degree certificate, you can also provide an overview of current grades);
- Copy of master's thesis (or comparable research paper, in case the master thesis is not complete yet)